Sunday, August 9, 2009

Willamette Writers Conference, Day#3

Zzzzz. Wha-at?

Yes, I overslept. Better said = I slept enough. I was at the conference 7:30 am - 5:15 pm yesterday. Okay, so the last hour or so was hanging out with Jenny in the bar, her with a margarita and me with a mojito with too much brown sugar in the bottom, talking about life and writing and what we've learned and seen and not learned so far at the conference. We both had decided to go to a workshop about Web 2.0, but it was immediately apparent it wasn't what either of us wanted, so we ditched it.

So I was at the conference site until 5:15. Then I went home and I was scheduled to walk six miles yesterday. It was the first official day of my new training schedule, which is focused on being ready to walk a half marathon on November 29th in Seattle. This week I had a session with the trainer and walked about 1.5 miles. I strained my IT bands last week at the relay (not surprising given the six miles constant downhill leg I had on 8/1; I wasn't upset about it, it just was! Others had far more issues than my screaming IT bands) and my chiropractor told me they needed rest so to take it easy and just do stretching. Which I did. And I thought I was ready for a walk yesterday because my hips and sides of thighs felt fine.

Wrong. After about 3/4 of a mile, where the ITbands originate started to cramp up, primarily on the right. So I stopped and did some stretching for that area and the supporting areas (I think - I did the best I could with my still developing knowledge of this). I continued walking and developed a little bit more of a hitch, so I did more stretching. And then I walked. At about 1 1/2 miles, I knew it was time to turn back. This is one of the tricky things for me, learning to notice before it's too late. Once I get out there, I have to get back. So I have to learn to understand what's going on before I don't have a choice about stopping or am stuck out somewhere in pain and have to walk back in spite of it, risking doing damage; or, I suppose, I could pay $20 to go that one mile home.

My six miles yesterday became three, and at only slightly above strolling speed. So I showered and changed to work clothes and worked from 8:30 pm until 1 am. (Actually 8:40 until 1, because there was construction just over a bridge that was not there the last time I drove it and I was late.)

Then I got home at 2:00 am because I had to get gas (remember that song, "running on empty"? - that was me). And then I finished up a revision to post for my online writing class. It was probably 3:00 or 3:30 when I went to bed.

So when the alarm went off at 6:45 am, there was no way I was getting up. Nor with the second alarm at 7:10. Nor the third backup alarm at 7:25. And not even the one at 7:45.

I missed what I'm sure was a great workshop on PON versus POV. I will try to find a good source for that information, but I really like the presenter, Charlotte Cook, and it would have been great. But my body refused and I needed to respect that I couldn't go another day on not enough sleep.

I will get there in time to attend one on editing. That one I really want and need. Then this afternoon I work two more workshops: one by the president of the Willamette Writers organization and a second one by Cynthia Whitcomb on subplot. She is also amazing. An amazing writer and an awesome presenter. I was fortunate to be working her "Playwriting 101" workshop yesterday.

So, time to guzzle down the coffee with soy milk, shower, and then put the wheels to the pavement - or however that saying goes. My brain is still a little foggy and definitely not enough sleep over these last three days. I do work, again, tonight. But I don't have to be anywhere until an hour befitting the time I get home.